RICHARD L. JOHNSON
Tel: (671) 477-7857
Fax: (671) 472-2904
Originally from Massachusetts, Mr. Johnson first set foot in Guam in 1974 on his way to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer in what was then the Palau District of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands. He lived for two years in the small, remote village of Choll on the island of Babeldaob, where he taught all elementary school subjects in both English and Palauan.
Following his service, Mr. Johnson returned to Massachusetts where he attended Suffolk University Law School, graduating with honors in 1981.
After a brief period in Hawaii, Mr. Johnson returned to Palau where he became counsel to the Senate of the first Palau National Congress (Olbiil Era Kelulau). He drafted enabling legislation and reports needed to organize the first Constitutional government of what was to become the independent Republic of Palau. While counsel to the Senate, Mr. Johnson argued the very first case decided under the Constitution of the Republic of Palau. The decision can be found at 1 Palau Inter. 1 (1981).
In 1983, Mr. Johnson moved to Guam where he worked for a short while as a law clerk at the Superior Court before joining the firm, then known as Klemm Blair & Barusch.
Mr. Johnson’s practice involves a wide variety of corporate and commercial matters, including commercial litigation, in Guam, the CNMI, the Republic of Palau and the FSM.
Mr. Johnson has served on the Guam Bar Association Ethics Committee and as Chairman of the Supreme Court of Guam’s Special Court for Judicial Discipline.
- Duenas v. George and Matilda Kallingal, P.C., 2015 Guam 19
- Cho v. Fujita Kanko, Inc., 2009 Guam 21
- Shin v. Fujita Kanko Guam, Inc., 2007 Guam 18
- Park v. Mobil Oil Guam, Inc., 2004 Guam 20
- Mobil Oil Guam v. Tendido, 2004 Guam 7
- Bank of Guam v. Guam Banking Bd., 2003 Guam 9
- Edwards v. Pacific Fin. Corp., 2000 Guam 27
- Guam Economic Dev. Auth. v. Ulloa, 841 F.2d 990 (9th Cir. 1988)
Northern Mariana Islands
- Atalig v. Mobil Oil Mariana Islands, Inc., 2013 MP 11
- Syed v. Mobil Oil Mariana Islands, Inc., 2012 MP 20
Republic of Palau
- In re Shadel, 16 ROP 269 (2009)
- In re Shadel, 5 ROP Intrm. 265 (1996)
- Arugay v. Wolff, 5 ROP Intrm. 239 (1996)
- Ruluked v. Micronesian. Occupational College, 1 ROP Intrm. 577 (1989)
- Remeliik v. Senate, 1 ROP Intrm. 1 (1981)
Federated States of Micronesia
- Adams Bros. Corp. v. SS Thorfinn, 19 FSM R. 1 (Pon. 2013)
- Yoruw v. Mobil Oil Micr., Inc., 16 FSM Intrm. 360 (Yap 2009)
- Bank of the Federated States of Micr. v. Truk Trading Co., 16 FSM Intrm. 467 (Chk. 2009)
- Bank of the Federated States of Micr. v. Truk Trading Co., 16 FSM Intrm. 281 (Chk. 2009)
Mr. Johnson does substantial pro bono work for members of the Palauan community on Guam, including the Palau Evangelical Church. He is also a member of the Ngaraard Club of Guam.
Mr. Johnson is also a past member of the board of trustees for St. John's School.
Suffolk University School of Law, J.D., Cum Laude, (1981)
Moot Court Board
Lafayette College, B.A. Anthropology (1974)
Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands (1982)
Federated States of Micronesia (1982)
Northern Mariana Islands (1984)
Republic of Palau (1985)
U.S. Supreme Court (1987)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (1984)
U.S. District Court, District of Hawaii (1981)
U.S. District Court, District Court of Guam (1983)
U.S. District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands (1985)
- American Bar Association House of Delegates Alternate (2015 - 2017)
- Special Court on Judicial Discipline, Chairman (2010)
- Former member of the Guam Bar Association Ethics Committee