JEHAN'AD G. MARTINEZ
Tel: (671) 477-7857
Fax: (671) 472-4290
Mr. Martinez represents and advises local and multinational enterprises on business transactions, corporate governance, intellectual property, admiralty and shipping, and commercial litigation matters. His litigation practice includes client representation from mediation, through trial and appeal. Mr. Martinez routinely serves as local counsel to global law firms in mergers and acquisitions, project financing and initial public offerings, involving enterprises and assets located in Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands.
Mr. Martinez enforces trademark and copyrights in the United States District Courts of both Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands. In 2004, Mr. Martinez, along with one of the firm's other principals, William Blair, co-authored the chapter on Guam Intellectual Property law in the Intellectual Property World Desk Reference, published by Kluwer Law International.
Mr. Martinez has extensive admiralty and shipping experience ranging from representation of vessel owners, charters and cargo owners, including U.S. Oil Pollution Act of 1990 issues, and defending vessels in collision and property damage, personal injuries and cargo damage claims. He currently serves as the Guam correspondent for two of the world's leading mutual protection and insurance clubs.
He is the immediate past President of the Guam Bar Association and has served on numerous Judiciary of Guam and Bar Association committees.
Mack v. Davis, 2013 Guam 13 (2013)
People v. Aguirre, 2004 Guam 21 (2004)
United States v. Nostratis, 321 F.3d 1206 (9th Cir. 2003)
United States v. Yuan Qing Jiang, 214 F.3d 1099 (9th Cir. 2000)
In 2009, Mr. Martinez was nominated for "Public Citizen of the Year" by the Guam Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers for his contributions to the community.
With over two decades of providing pro bono legal service to the community, Mr. Martinez has helped numerous local non-profit entities and individuals. He frequently lectures on governance of non-profit entities and director liability issues and is pro bono counsel to Sanctuary, Incorporated of Guam and the Pacific Association for Radiation Survivors.
Mr. Martinez has also volunteered his time coaching and judging high school mock trial.
Southwestern University School of Law, J.D. (1993)
American University, B.S. International Business/Finance (1988)
Northern Mariana Islands (1994)
U.S. Supreme Court (1997)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (1994)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (1994)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (1994)
U.S. District Court, District Court of Guam (1994)
U.S. District Court for the District of the Northern Mariana Islands (1994)
U.S. Court of Military Appeals (1994)
U.S. Court of Federal Claims (1994)
U.S. Court of International Trade (1994)
- Guam Bar Association, President (2015 - 2017)
- Public Defender Service Corporation, Trustee (2015 - 2017)
- Guam Chamber of Commerce, Director (2012 - 2013)
- District Court of Guam Standing Committee on Discipline
- District Court of Guam, Admiralty Rules Committee, Member (2012)
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow (2017 - Present)
- The American Law Institute, Ex Officio Member (2015-2018)
- Guam Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Committee, Chairperson, (2009 - 2015)
- Guam Territorial Law Library, Trustee (1999 - 2006)
- Southwestern University, Phi Delta Phi Shenk Inn, Magister (1992 - 1993)
- American University, Alpha Kappa Psi, Lamda Nu Chapter (1987-1988)
- Hon. Benjamin J.F. Cruz, Superior Court of Guam and, by special designation, Supreme Court of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (Senior Clerk, 1993-1994)
- Hon. Terry J. Hatter, Jr., U.S. District Court, Central District of California (Judicial Extern, 1993)